Fred Brousseau’s consulting experience dates from 1980 and has been dedicated almost entirely to public sector and non-profit organization clients. He is the Director of Policy Analysis for the Budget and Legislative Analyst contract for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors and he serves as a principal/project manager on numerous performance audits and special studies for other local government clients. His policy analysis, management and performance audit experience is in the areas of criminal justice, health and social services, public works and infrastructure, human resources, and administrative functions. Besides managing projects for the City and County of San Francisco, he has provided services for Santa Clara and Los Angeles counties, the City of Los Angeles, the State of California, and others. Mr. Brousseau holds a Bachelor´s degree in Economics from the University of California at Santa Cruz and a Master´s degree in Public Policy from the University of California at Berkeley.
Mr. Brousseau brings expertise in the following areas:
- Policy Analysis: Mr. Brousseau manages numerous special studies and policy analyses requested by members of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Examples of recent studies include an analysis of the impact of short-term rental units on housing prices; an analysis of costs and funding for undergrounding utility wires; an estimate of the extent of the digital divide in San Francisco; an analysis of the cost of implementing a municipal fiber broadband network; an analysis of alternative approaches to reducing commercial vacancies; an analysis of the costs of services provided by all City departments for veterans and homeless individuals; and, an analysis of the magnitude and impact of tenant evictions.
- Special Studies: Mr. Brousseau manages special studies that examine budget, legislative and policy issues in cities, counties and school districts statewide. Examples of recent special studies include a blueprint for performance-based budgeting in Los Angeles; an analysis of urban growth management and citywide impact fees for the City of Fresno; and, a risk assessment for the Port of Los Angeles.
- Performance audits: Mr. Brousseau has overseen numerous performance and management audits for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors and other local governments. Recent audits include: a performance audit of the City of Los Angeles General Fund revenue collection; a performance audit of vehicle lien sales in Long Beach; a performance audit of hospital and health clinic write-offs and a performance audit of First 5 Los Angeles, both for the Los Angeles County Grand Jury; a performance audit of adult indigent defense conflict panels for the County of San Bernardino; a performance audit of the Sonoma County Public Defender’s Office; a performance audit of the Los Angeles County Elder Abuse Programs and Services; and, a performance audit of the City of Los Angeles’ procurement function.
- Policy and Fiscal Analysis of implementing fiber broadband in San Francisco
- Policy Analysis of tenant displacement in San Francisco’s Mission District
- Policy Analysis of the impact of short-term rentals on the housing market in San Francisco
- Policy Analysis of the impact of transportation network companies in San Francisco
- Fiscal Analysis of the cost of undergrounding utility wires in San Francisco
- Blueprint for performance-based budgeting in Los Angeles
- Special study of the impact of urban growth and citywide impact fees in Fresno
- Risk Assessment for the Port of Los Angeles
- Performance Audit of General Fund revenue collection for the City of Los Angeles
- Performance Audit of Vehicle Lien Sales in Long Beach
- Numerous performance audits for the Los Angeles County Grand Jury, including an audit of hospital and health clinic write-offs, and an audit of First 5 Los Angeles